Best time to visit Lake Nakuru national park
Best time to visit Lake Nakuru national park is an important factor to put in mind when planning a safari to this destination. Lake Nakuru national park is located in the central part of Kenya and is known for its large number of flamingoes which can be seen filling the shores of Lake Nakuru in a big mass of pink. Many other bird species can also be seen at this lake which makes it a good birding spot.
Before deciding on the best time to visit Lake Nakuru national park, a tourist is tasked with considering some factors which include the budget for the safari, nature of accommodation, means of transport during the safari, number of people for the safari, activities to engage in during the safari among others.
With other factors to consider when deciding the best time to visit Lake Nakuru national park such as comfortable weather conditions, excellent game viewing among others, one is tasked with knowing the different seasons of visiting a destination they wish to go to which include the following;
- Peak season which is the time of the year when the number of tourists visiting Lake Nakuru national park is high with prices also high. During this time of the year, the national park is usually high.
- High season is at a time of the year when the national park is still very busy. The high season in Lake Nakuru national park is during the months of January and February.
- Low season is when the prices are lower and there are fewer tourists visiting Lake Nakuru national park. During the low season, the lodges around the national park also have special offers for their guests.
The best time of the year to visit Lake Nakuru national park for a safari includes months such as;
- June to September are sunny days in Lake Nakuru national park which are recommended for wildlife viewing experiences since during the rainy seasons the grass is longer making it difficult to see the wildlife species.
- October to December and March is the rainy season in Lake Nakuru national park which makes the wildlife species to disperse in the national park which is smaller compared to other national parks in Kenya and it is also fenced which means that the wildlife species are not impossible to see during a game drive and other game viewing activities at the destination.
- April and May are known for the long rainy season when there is a lot of rainfall received in Lake Nakuru national park. The rains received provide water for the different wildlife species which can be seen in the national park as well as pasture since the pools are filled with fresh rainwater. Despite the rains in the national park, the roads used to access this destination are in good condition.
Lake Nakuru is also known for the sanctuary for black rhinos as well as other wildlife species which can also be seen in the park such as waterbucks, buffalos, zebras, gazelles, impalas, lions, leopards, black and white colobus monkeys as well as baboons.
This national park is characterized by hills or viewpoints, grasslands, and trees. Attractions in this national park include Lake Nakuru, Baboon cliff, Makalia waterfall, wildlife and bird species among others. Lake Nakuru is an alkaline lake that is found in the rift valley of Kenya.
Activities which tourists can engage in during safaris in the Lake Nakuru national park include Game drives, hiking, bird watching among others.
- Game drives in Lake Nakuru national park involve seeing a variety of wildlife species in this national park such as the Rothschild giraffes, waterbucks, buffalos, zebras, impala, Thompson and Grant’s gazelles, reedbucks, black and white colobus monkeys, baboons among others. These game drives are guided and involve exploring the wooded grassland, dense forest which act as habitat for the wildlife species.
- Bird watching is another activity which tourists can engage in during their visits to Lake Nakuru national park which is considered a birder haven due to the various bird species which can be seen around the different birding spots. Flamingos are famously known at this national park and they can be seen along the shores of Lake Nakuru filling it with a beautiful pink color. The types of flamingos which can be seen at this destination include both lesser and greater flamingos as well as native and migratory bird species.
- Hiking takes place in Lake Nakuru national park as tourists go to the different viewpoints around the national park where they can observe the wildlife species grazing as well as seeing the beautiful scenery of the national park. These viewpoints include a baboon cliff which offers views of the lake as well as hyraxes.
The best time to visit Lake Nakuru national park depends on many different factors in order to choose the time which is well suited to see the wildlife and other attractions at the destination as well as activities of interest at the destination.